Learning Management System
The district's commitment to offering a challenging curriculum with high standards has long been recognized as a high priority.
For students choosing the Blended Online Learning Program or the Independent Online Study Program:
- The COOL School curriculum is an engaging and rigorous, media-rich curriculum that actively engages students through the use of quality digital courses in the core subjects of math, science, language arts, and history / social science. All coursework is aligned to the California state standards and delivered in partnership with Odysseyware, a national learning management system (LMS).
- Students will login to the LMS daily to complete their coursework with the assistance of the parent/guardian. Numerous formative assessments will highlight student areas of strength and target areas that need more practice allowing students to move on or to cycle back through the concepts. Students will also be able to receive assistance from the teacher in the form of instant messaging, synchronous communication tools and the scheduling of one-on-one assistance.
- Teachers will constantly monitor individual student progress and intervene as necessary. The built-in course customization tool assists the teacher and allows for greater versatility in customizing lessons and allowing for differentiation. Online grade books and individualized student planners within the LMS contain pacing calendars and numerous reporting features that allow teachers to customize the student's learning experience. Group classroom instruction will focus on hands-on, collaborative learning activities as well as critical thinking activities.
- Parent/guardian real-time access to the student's assignments, grades, teacher feedback and announcements create the unique partnership necessary between the student, teacher and parent/guardian for the student to succeed.
For students choosing the Traditional Independent Study Program:
- The main curriculum utilized is the high quality District adopted curriculum currently utilized in our elementary schools or middle schools. This rigorous curriculum is aligned to the California standards and challenges students daily in all core subjects.
- Teachers will meet weekly with students utilizing this model in order to monitor student progress and address the student's individualized learning plan.
- Parent/guardians will be kept informed of student progress, grades, teacher feedback and announcements to create the unique partnership necessary between the student, teacher and parent/guardian for the student to succeed.